Running a VNC Session
Before getting started you must have VPN access to CF. Find instructions here.
- Start the VNC server on your chosen RTDC machine by typing
Set up a VNC password if this is the first time, or you can reset your password with
You can see your list of running servers by typing
$ vncserver -list
and kill them with
$ vncserver -kill :1
(replace 1 with the number of your session).
- Download and install the VNC viewer app on your remote machine. (For Macs try RealVNC).
- Connect your laptop to the CfA VPN with the Cisco AnyConnect app.
- Open the VNC viewer. Go to File->New connection, then type the name of the machine followed by the name of your session, e.g. rtdc9:1. Hit OK.
- Double click on your newly created session, it will ask you for your VNC password (not your CF or RTDC or VPN password). Enter the password and the setup is complete.
If you see a black screen with three grey checkboxes after connecting you should do the following.
1. Check which version of python you are running. If it is /opt/anaconda2 then remove that path from your startup files (e.g. .cshrc or .bashrc)
2. Exit the terminal and log in again. Confirm that the version of python being called is /usr/bin/python.
3. If you still have problems please email Holly.
Note you should contact Holly for extra assistance configuring vncserver on rtdc10.